Set up your buyer information in Shopify
To engage with your buyers during post-purchase and maximize the success of your deliveries, it is essential to ask them to provide their email address at checkout. And it's very quick to set up in the Shopify checkout page settings, just change some default settings.
Where do I set up my Shopify Checkout?
Go to your Shopify Store Settings > Checkout.
1. In the Customer Contact Method section
Select what method customers use to check out
Activate the second option Email
📧 Why should I require the email?
- To ensure the buyer will receive shipping updates. Tracking emails have an average 85% open rate, it's a major driver for your post-purchase engagement.
- Carriers like Mondial Relay only contact the buyer via email. If the email is not set, the buyer will not receive the code sent by the carrier to pick-up the package. It leads to unsuccessful deliveries which are costly for brands.
2. In the Customer Information section
- You need to require
- The first and last names
- the phone number in the last setting Shipping address phone number
Why should I require both the first and last names?
Some carriers (ex: Colissimo) require it.
In addition, when the package falls back to a post office (ex: La Poste), the post office operator may verify the full name of your customer, and check that it matches with their ID.
📞 Why should I require the phone number?
- Most home delivery carriers call the buyer upon delivery.
Don't forget to hit save!
To sum up, with these 2 settings, you ensure the buyer provides both their email and phone number.